Monday, November 26, 2018

End of the Road





I remember promising myself early on that the day I became blasé about what I saw and did driving a cab was the day I needed to quit. When I made that promise, I thought it would be obvious to me when that day came, but change happens gradually, almost imperceptibly. 

I was sitting with my wife one morning at the end of a long shift, talking before she went off to work and I went to bed. She enjoyed hearing the stories I brought home and asked what happened that night.

“Nothing,” I said. 

“Really? she answered. I shrugged, and we changed the subject to something else—the news, what she did the night before, what her day entailed. 

A bit later, almost offhandedly, I described sitting on a cab stand the night before and watching a couple of bums arguing over a pack of cigarettes. The boyfriend, I assumed, snatched the pack from his wheelchair-bound girlfriend’s hands. She lunged at him and grabbed them back, only to throw herself onto the sidewalk in the process. He then fell on top of her, and the two rolled around as if in slow-motion. Two squad cars pulled up and the four patrolmen stood in a circle around them laughing at the spectacle before breaking the thing up.

“I thought you said nothing happened?” 

I said something curt, dismissive, but her point was clear: It wasn’t that things weren’t happening, I just stopped noticing. I had reached that point. 

My mind drifted back to that summer evening outside an apartment building with the former Brazilian school teacher. 

“You have another year, maybe two,” he told me. “Then you have to quit. You quit or drive the rest of your life.” Inertia has a way of taking over one’s life.

And so I just stopped. 

The taxi industry itself too was about to undergo seismic change. The ride-hailing service Uber first appeared in Boston in 2011. I remember thinking at the time how clever it was, how efficient. The Web-based service eliminates both the guesswork of exactly when your ride will show up and exactly how much your fare will be. The taxi industry, being a legislated monopoly, has always been stubbornly resistant to change. Uber would drag it kicking and screaming into the 21stcentury.

The number of taxi medallions, those pieces of tin affixed to the rear of the car that allow the vehicle to be driven as a taxi, are fixed by the state legislature, and thus their value had always been artificially high. At the time I quit driving, a medallion in Boston could sell for as much as $750,000, a ridiculous amount given that it would take two lifetimes of driving to pay for one. For the owners, there was no incentive to improve the quality of service, as the value of their company simply depended on owning the medallion.

Uber changed that equation. By 2015, as Uber exploded in popularity, ridership in Boston taxis plunged nearly a third, and some owners were trying to sell their medallions for as little as $180,000. The industry tried to fight back, lobbying city hall and the statehouse to stop the onslaught, but there was little politicians could do. I, for one, had no sympathy for the taxi owners, as they had been riding the gravy train for far too long. The drivers, on the other hand, those who couldn’t afford to own their vehicle and drive for Uber, were left out on their own. 

That was a little over 6 years ago. Yet, incredibly, people still find their way to this blog (over 200 visits just last month). For that, I am forever grateful. Thank you.

Nevertheless, it's time to shut it down. Yet, for those of you who would like to be enjoy The Hack, I've compiled the blog into a book of the same title, available on Kindle or in paperback on amazon.com at a very reasonable cost.

Me? I moved on. I still write, trying to cobble a career of sorts. And I’ve started a new blog, www.nineronepop.blogspot.com, about aviation. Transportation seems to be my niche. I understand it might not be your cup of tea, but I'd be honored to have you subscribe to it.

In the meantime, happy trails.

69 comments:

  1. Thanks for all your insights and willingness to communicate. I've ordered your book. May all your lights be green in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Informative and useful for me and for other also.
    minicab services balham

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is very useful and thank u for most valuable information
    taxi services ||Peckham airport transfer ||Peckham taxi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very impressed and great blog to thanks for sharing the informationmation
    taxi services ||
    airport transfers ||
    Peckham taxi city

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post and very informative to us
    Heathrow taxis provide very smart taxis service across London and airport transfer and taxis to all local cities.
    Taxis in GB Airport Transfer-Heathrow Taxis Company provide taxis and minicab to all airports, seaport and railway station in London at affordable price also offers taxi
    gbairport transfer
    gbairport minicab
    gbairport taxis

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post and very informative blog ,thaks for sharing the information
    taxi services
    millhill online booking
    airport transfer

    ReplyDelete

  8. Really impressive & helpful blog for me, I was searching this kind of information from a long time. Thanks for help me.

    Malta New York, Airport Taxi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Post! It is really helpful and interesting. We provide a best taxi service in Karnal.
    Taxi Service in Karnal

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the information but i want to share my experience with you that supreme chauffeur provide best airport transfer service in the city because they are always on time and monitor you flight timing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. People always wondered about to find out best transportation to travel.This blog is really helpful.Thank's for sharing this wonderful blog.
    Airport Shuttle in burlington vt

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this website is very useful, and my advice hopefully We can write articles and news on this website for this website more colorful, thanks https://likeitgirl.com/which-stroller-is-best-for-newborn/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great business post i have read your article very informational data you shared but about business the data you enterted is weak i think you have to read an article about business on

    https://getnews360.com/how-much-convenient-it-is-for-ladies-to-reduce-weight-through-exercise-bikes/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This site is extremely useful for Entertainers, Music darlings and admirers of various apps. I love to utilize this site. We can likewise get the most recent applications and their forms https://www.digitaldailys.com/role-of-portable-speakers-in-a-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read our article this is business post. a business man should read this post very helpful post for the businessman. I inspired by your struggle nice work http://teehog.com/best-portable-speakers/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Black car service Boston is the luxurious administration community for both business and daily routine traveling needs. You ought to make the most of your movement here, as its inhabitants considered it a corporate or business focus. Hire a luxurious cars at low rates with some bossy style.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The advent of admiring lips by means of a few most secure ways has delivered. Lip Augmentation Boston in the town has been invented with the aid of expert dermatologists.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice Post, Thanks For sharing. When you want the best taxi services for traveling at an affordable price, we are the right choice for you.
    Peppard Taxi service

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really good to know about this service. This post is really informative. Thanks for it and keep sharing
    " Black car service Boston"

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was so beautiful. I really can't say anything. Thanks for the nice article.
    " Car service Boston"

    ReplyDelete
  21. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +15068001647 blog: spiritualherbal.blogspot.com you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Blog. This blog information is informative and usefull. if your finding local taxi services then visit our site quickcabsdunstable.

    ReplyDelete
  23. very interesting, good job, and thanks for sharing such a good blog.
    Book A Taxi In London

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great Blog with very informative blogs and TETERBORO LIMO and CAR SERVICE is always with you to serve a safe and comfortable journey from the airport

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really informative blog! However, Top Limo provide aeroport taxi at affordable prices.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looking for a Taxi service in Ottawa Ontario then visit our website.We are providing the best transportation services to you.Thanks for sharing this informative post and keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is the kind of blog I was looking for from a long time, keep sharing.
    Beauvais to Paris transfers

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good Content!
    I appreciate your job. This content is very informative and helpful. MN black car also provides the Taxi service in Minneapolis. To know more details visit the site.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a Great Blog!
    I have been read the content ... it is very helpful information Mn Black car provides the best Airport Car Service To know more visit the site.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello, Thank you for giving me this beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice blog, it provides many informative and helpful articles. Thanks for sharing the information. Looking for more updates in future.
    transfer to Disneyland Paris

    ReplyDelete